Want an easy way to make shredded chicken? This shredded chicken in the slow cooker is the best method for the job. There are so many recipes that call for shredded chicken. You could buy a rotisserie chicken, but stocking up on some frozen shredded chicken is a real time saver.
The many uses:
Having shredded chicken ready to go makes dinner prep so much faster. Slow cooking the chicken helps to keep the chicken very moist and not dried out at all. You can strain out the broth and save for a later use.
All you need to do to make shredded chicken in the slow cooker is put it all in the slow cooker and let it cook. When it’s done, just shred it, and freeze any you are not using right away. Be sure to shred the chicken while it is still hot. It will shred much easier than when it is cooled.
It is best to portion out what you are freezing in separate zip top bags so you don’t end up with a big block of frozen chicken. Then you can just pull out a bag to defrost when you are ready to use it.
Recommended Equipment For This Recipe
Connect With Us!
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment and star rating below to let us know how it turned out! We would also love to connect with you on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest. Tag @chloestrayblog or #chloestray to show us your food!
Shredded Chicken in the Slow Cooker
- 6 lbs Chicken Breasts, about 5 large
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- Put chicken in the slow cooker and pour in broth. Sprinkle on the seasonings.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Shred with 2 forks while it is still hot.
- Use right away or freeze in 1-2 cup portions for later use.
- Strain out broth and save for later use. Can be frozen as well.