Oh Snickerdoodles, you are so delicious. Nice soft cookies rolled in cinnamon sugar. Yum! I like to bake them until they are just barely done cooking and still very soft. I found this hand-written recipe in my husband’s grandmother’s cookbook. Hand-written recipes are so special.
Often snickerdoodles are made during Christmas time, but around my house we enjoy these sweet cinnamon cookies year round.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F and lightly grease 2 foil lined baking sheets.
- In a large bowl, mix shortening, sugar, and eggs thoroughly.
- In a smaller bowl, combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Pour into wet ingredients and mix well.
- Roll dough into Tablespoon sized balls. Roll in a mixture of 2 Tablespoons sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until cracked looking on top.