Creamy Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken is a tasty and hearty meal. I like to serve it over rice and even in tacos. This cooks for several hours in the slow cooker and is a filling meal to come home to after a long day. This is an updated, slow cooker version of a stove-top Mexican Chicken dinner that I love. Throwing everything in the slow cooker makes this delicious dinner even easier.
Slow Cooker Tip For Best Results
When adding onions to a slow cooker, I always sauté them first. If you add them when they are still raw, they will be crunchy and raw tasting even after cooking all day. The extra 5 minutes it takes to cook the onion is definitely worth it in the Creamy Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken and in every slow cooker meal you make. You can even cook a few onions at once and freeze them for later use in other slow cooker recipes. Let me know if you try this tip!
Use Slow Cooker Liners for easy clean up. They are really the best way to use a slow cooker. When you are ready to clean up, just pull the bag out and throw it away. All you need to do is wipe down the slow cooker and it is ready to be put away. So easy!
My Favorite Slow Cooker Items
Other Slow Cooker Recipes To Try
Smoky Kalua Pork – Slow cook the most flavorful pork.
Mississippi Pot Roast – The best pot roast you will ever make.
White Chicken Chili – Easy slow cooked white chicken chili
Connect With Us!
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment and star rating below to let us know how it turned out! We would also love to connect with you on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest. Tag @chloestrayblog or #chloestray to show us your food!
Creamy Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
- Slow Cooker
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 lbs chicken breasts, boneless & skinless
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 – 14 oz. cans diced tomatoes, with roasted garlic & herb
- 2 15 oz. cans red kidney beans, drained
- 15 oz. can corn kernels, drained
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 3 cups uncooked rice
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the diced onion and cook until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Put the chicken breasts in the bottom of a slow cooker. Add the cooked onion, chicken breasts, garlic, chili powder, cayenne, salt, pepper, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, and corn. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred. Cut the cream cheese into pieces then add to the slow cooker. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook the rice as you normally would. Serve over rice.