This is the meal that Robbie wanted for his birthday this year. It’s quite a meal! It’s my homemade version of the Fried Chicken Eggs Benedict from Hash House a go go. It is made of mashed potatoes, biscuits, lettuce, tomatoes, bacon, sage fried chicken, eggs, mozzarella cheese, and a chipotle cream sauce. Make sure to read through the whole recipe before making this dish since you will be preparing several things at once.
The first thing to make is the biscuit dough, so they can be popped into the oven when it is time. This will make six biscuits, but we only need three of them for this recipe.
Next prepare the chicken to be fried by coating it in a mixture of cornflakes and sage. This fried chicken recipe was found on Food Network’s website and is the actual recipe used at the restaurant.
Next, cook the three slices of bacon. I cooked an extra slice for Chloe to eat.
Make the mashed potatoes next. These were very simple mashed potatoes, but you could add garlic or other seasonings to them.
Fry the chicken and bake the biscuits.
Prepare the chipotle cream sauce using the heat from the pot the potatoes are in. The sauce is made by whisking together egg yolks and lemon juice until they thicken and double in size. Add in cayenne, salt, chopped chipotle pepper in adobo, and a little of the adobo sauce. Whisk in some butter until it has thickened.
Next, cook the eggs. After the eggs are cooked, lay the 2 thick cut slices of mozzarella cheese in the pan to warm and start to melt. Just don’t leave them there too long or it will be difficult to pick them up.
Now it’s time for assembly.
On top of a large platter, layer in this order:
Chipotle cream sauce
And don’t forget to stab it with a steak knife…or 2!
There you have it! Fried Chicken Eggs Benedict! A crazy birthday meal!
Fried Chicken Eggs Benedict
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup milk
Sage Fried Chicken: (Actual Hash House recipe)
- 1 large chicken breast, cut in half to make 2 cutlets
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup Cornflakes cereal, slightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon freshly minced sage, or dried
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 Russet potatoes, cubed
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 leaves romaine lettuce
- 1 Roma tomato, sliced
- 3 slices thick cut bacon
Chipotle Cream Sauce
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
Eggs & Cheese Layers
- 3 large eggs, or use the remaining egg whites from the sauce
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 thick cut slices fresh mozzarella cheese
Prepare The Biscuit Dough
- Sift the flour, baking soda and baking powder into a medium bowl. Cut in the butter.
- Gradually add the milk until a soft dough forms. Knead for 30 seconds on a floured surface.
- Roll out to 1/2 inch thickness and cut out 6 round biscuits. Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Set aside and wait to bake these until you have prepared a couple other things first.
Prepare The Chicken To Be Fried
- Beat the egg on a small plate. On another small plate combine the cornflakes and sage.
- Dip the chicken in the egg then in the cornflake mixture. Set aside.
Cook The Bacon
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the bacon.
- Cook on both sides until browned, reserve on a paper towel lined plate. Save the bacon grease in the skillet.
- Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan with enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until softened. Drain and return the potatoes to the pan.
- Add the butter, milk and season to taste with salt and pepper. Mash with a potato masher.
Bake The Biscuits
- Now is the time to put the biscuits in the oven. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Fry The Chicken
- Add enough canola oil to the skillet with the bacon grease to make it about 1/4 inch deep.
- Add the coated chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until browned and cooked through.
While the chicken and potatoes are cooking, prepare the chipotle cream sauce.
- Place the bowl over the saucepan with the potatoes. Keep whisking and slowly pour in the melted butter.
- Keep whisking until thickened. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- *Note: if the sauce thickens up on you, just whisk in a little warm water before serving.
Cook The Eggs and Cheese
- Whisk the eggs with salt and pepper.
- Heat the butter in a small skillet. Add the eggs and cook until done.
- After the eggs are cooked. Add the slices of mozzarella cheese to the skillet to heat them up. Cook for about 30 seconds total just to make them slightly melted. Be careful not to make a melted cheese mess.
Now it’s time for assembly. On top of a large platter, layer in this order:
- Mashed Potatoes
- 3 Biscuits
- Tomato Slices
- Fried Chicken
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Chipotle cream sauce
- And don’t forget to stab it with a steak knife…or 2!