We have made a monthly Costco run for several years now, but usually just for certain items and not for our dinners. Then we still have to make a grocery trip for the week. I recently decided to try getting everything I need for the week’s dinners at Costco to save us a trip. I saw these five cheese Tortelloni, which is just a bigger size than the tortellini that you get at the grocery store. I just used one side of the package for this meal. Then I came across the brats at Costco and thought that sounded like it would be good with the tortelloni. Grab some cheese and you are set.
The packages from Costco come with enough to make this meal twice, plus extra cheese and brats. You can keep these ingredients frozen until you are ready to cook it.
I’ve made this about 3 times now and only the last time I added cream cheese. Oh my goodness, the cream cheese takes this meal to a whole new level of yumminess.
Start this meal by cooking the onion and brats. You can use brats or ground sausage. I just had bought the brats at Costco since they were a good price. Remove the brats from their casings and break them up to cook. Season them with salt, pepper, basil, and oregano. I just went with some classic Italian seasonings, but you could change it up if you want. You could add some heat with crushed red pepper flakes if you are feeling spicy.
Next I stirred in the tomato sauce and chicken broth to give the tortelloni some liquid to cook in. Cooking the tortelloni right in with everything else makes this a perfect one-pot meal that is great for making any night of the week. The tortelloni cooks up in about 10-12 minutes, but be sure to keep the heat on low so it doesn’t all stick to the bottom of the pan. I know this from experience. Stir it halfway through cooking to help it not stick. Gently stir in the cream cheese if you love amazing food and top with the parmesan romano cheese. I like to stick it under the broiler for a few minutes to brown the cheese.
Connect With Us!
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment and star rating below to let us know how it turned out! We would also love to connect with you on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest. Tag @chloestrayblog or #chloestray to show us your food!
Creamy Sausage and Cheese Tortelloni
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb brats or sausage, casings removed
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1.5 lb five cheese tortelloni, one side of the Costco package
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup parmesan romano cheese, shredded
- Heat the olive oil in an oven proof skillet over medium-high heat. If you don’t have an oven proof skillet, you can transfer it to a casserole dish before putting it under the broiler at the end. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the brats and break them up. Cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, basil, and oregano. Stir in the tomato sauce and chicken broth then bring to a bubble. Add the tortelloni and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 10-12 minutes, stirring carefully halfway through.
- Stir in the cream cheese and top with the parmesan romano cheese. Put under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to brown the cheese lightly.